The History of a Pilchard Palace - references
References (all internet data was as accessed from the websites in November 2011) 1. 19th Century Property data: From documents forming part of the National Trust deposit for their Cornish properties.
1. Details of the National Trust Cornish Properties deposit are on this national archives page (under ‘Endellion’ properties) – http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=021-x399&cid=-1#-1.
5. Collins, W. 1851: Rambles Beyond Railways. Richard Bentley, London. (book can downloaded from Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/28367).
6. Philip Ball’s evidence to Parliamentary Select Committee May 1817: Parliamentary Reports January to July 1817 can be downloaded as a PDF file from here – http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HSQSAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false (Rock Salt in Fisheries Report is on PDF file pages 130-172).
7. Mevagissey Bank: http://www.mevagisseymuseum.co.uk/musexhibits.html image from http://www.davidlay.co.uk/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=X008&LotRef=170.
10. Lionel Ashton: Information on death – http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCasAlpha1914-18A2.htm. Information on Drake Battalion and Gallipoli campaign – http://www.wartimememories.co.uk/greatwar/ships/drakebattalion.html.
11. Evacuee Children: Personal information and photos from Dave Gomm, St Breward, whose late brother Peter was an evacuee at Bide-A-While from 1940 to 1944. Both kept in contact with Mrs Ashton after the war up to her death.
13. Reverend Holt: Marriage – http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Bolton-le-Moors/Little-Bolton/allsouls/marriages_1937-1947.html (half way down the very long page). Chaplain to the Forces http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/34651/pages/5398/page.pdf (half way down first column).
15. Mr Ritchie: Promotion to Flight Sergeant – http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/36294/supplements/5534/page.pdf (near top of second column).